You could boost your super with up to $500
The Federal Government’s after-tax / co-contribution scheme is designed to help you boost your super.
How does it work?
If you pay additional personal (after-tax) contributions into your super, the government can provide a top-up if you meet the eligibility conditions.
For every dollar you contribute (up to $1,000) the government will match it with an additional 50 cents. That means up to $500 in super contributions from the government.
You can use the ATO super co-contribution calculator to work out how much extra you could be entitled to.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, all you have to do is lodge your annual tax return and the ATO will automatically assess your eligibility and pay any entitlement into your super account. It’s as easy as that.
Eligibility for the Government co-contribution is based on the following criteria:
• You are a permanent Australian resident and under 71 years of age at the end of the financial year
• You earn a total income of less than $53,564 in a financial year
• You earn 10% or more of your total income from employment, running a business, or a combination of both
• You have not held a temporary resident visa at any time during the year (unless you are a New Zealand resident or hold a prescribed visa)
• The total balance of all of your super accounts was less than $1.6 million on 30 June 2019
• You do not contribute more than your non-concessional contribution cap in the 2019/20 financial year.
When do you need to pay into your super?
Personal (after-tax) contributions you pay into your super at any time in a financial year could be eligible for a government co-contribution.
Contributions for this financial year must be received by 5pm, Monday 22 June 2020.
How do you make a super contribution?
There are three easy ways to pay a personal (after-tax) contribution:
We’re here to help
If you have questions about government co-contributions and how it could help boost your super, we can help. Contact us on 1800 682 626 between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm AEST Monday to Friday, or make an enquiry online.